Burkert Type 8098 FLOWave SAW Flowmeter
Burkert Type 8098 FLOWave SAW Flowmeter
The Burkert Type 8098 FLOWave SAW Flowmeter uses the SAW (Surface Acoustic Waves) technology and is mainly designed for applications with the highest hygienic demands. This flowmeter is ideal for liquids with low or no conductivity and is available in Clamp Ends in sizes 3/4" to 2" & DN15 to DN50 with an internal finish choice of Ra ≤ 0.8µm or Ra ≤ 0.4µm.
FLOWave offers a range of integrated functions, including flexibility advantages, ease of cleaning, compact dimensions, light weight, easy installation and handling. By using suitable stainless steel materials, a measuring pipe free of any wetted parts except for the actual pipe and the ideal outer hygienic design makes this suitable for hygienic applications and is compliant with numerous standards including EHEDG, 3A and FDA.
Optimal measurement results can be achieved with homogeneous, air and solid free liquids. Integrated viscosity compensation can be used for higher viscous liquids. Gas and steam cannot be measured; however, their flow does not have any negative effect on the device or its operation. Other liquids flowing through again afterwards are measured correctly as before. Special functions derived from further process values (density factor, acoustic transmission factor) offer additional information about the particular liquid in use (for details, see data sheet).
- No parts in the Measurement tube
- Conforms to Hygienic Requirements
- FDA & 3.1 Certificate Supplied as Standard
- CIP/SIP Capable
- With 2.4" Display
- Digital Communication
- Compact, Lightweight & Energy Efficient
- Ideal for Liquids with Low or No Conductivity
- Internal Finish Choice of Ra ≤ 0.8µm or Ra ≤ 0.4µm
- Stainless Steel construction
- Clamp Ends
- Sizes: 3/4" to 2" & DN15 to DN50
Operating Principle of FLOWave
The technology used is based on SAW (Surface Acoustic Waves). The kind of wave propagation is similar to what happens when it comes to earthquakes in the nature.
In the case of FLOWave it is a miniaturized signal, not running on the surface of the earth but on a measurement tube. FLOWave uses so called interdigital transducers which are placed on flattened areas of the tube surface. There are at least 4 of them. Each one acts as emitter as well as receiver. Two of them (no. 1 and 4) are emitting in the forward flow direction, the others (no. 2 and 3) in the backward flow direction. The propagation time is measured from emitter to receiver. The difference between the wave propagation times in the forward and backward directions is proportional to the volume flow.
The high performance measurement is based on:
- Each emitter creates multiple receiving signals at two other receivers
- The results are based on the reception of the signals that pass through the liquid one or more times
- Several measurements can be performed based on the collected information. Many properties of the liquid can be derived, including the flow velocity, the fraction of the transmitted signal (“acoustic transmission factor”), and the so-called “density factor” (see below), as well as information about the presence of gas bubbles or solid parts.
This figure indicates the receiving signal for just interdigital transducer 1 acting as emitter. The emitter excitation produces the SAW frequency with a frequency of more than 1 MHz.
There are two effects appearing:
- A wave propagates along the surface of the tube (see orange line)
- A wave couples into the liquid (see green line) and propagates towards the other side of the tube under a certain angle. This angle depends mainly on the propagation speed on the surface and in the liquid, respectively.
- Upon reaching the opposite side of the tube, two effects take place
- A wave couples into the tube and propagates (see green line) to reciver 3
- A wave couples out to the liquid (see yellow line) and propagates again to the opposite side of the tube
These effects get repeated at each reflection, resulting in all the different colour-coded signals indicated in the figure.
The following downloads are available for the Burkert Type 8098 FLOWave SAW Flowmeter: